Dr. (Mrs). Nwamaka P. Ibeme
Head of Department/Associate Professor of Public Administration
Phone No.: 08033258226
Responsibilities: Head of Public Admin. Department/Associate Professor
Dr. (Mrs). Nwamaka P. Ibeme is an Associate Professor in the Department of Public Administration, Faculty of Management Sciences, National Open University of Nigeria. She is presently the Head of the department of Public Administration, National Open University of Nigeria. Before being elected as the HOD, Public Administration, she was the Coordinator, South East Geopolitical zone Incubation Centre under the Directorate of the Entrepreneurship and General Studies (DEAGS), National Open University of Nigeria. Dr. Ibeme holds a Ph.D. in Public Administration (Human Resource Management). She is a member of the following professional bodies:
- Chartered Institute of Personnel Management of Nigeria (CIPM) as an Associate Member,
- National Association of Public Administration Academics and Practitioners of Nigeria (NAPAAP),
- International Professional Managers Association, UK, Associate Member,
- Chartered Institute of Professional Managers, UK, Associate member,
- Nigerian Institute of Training and Development (NITAD), member.
Dr. Ibeme is a Licensed Human Resource Practitioner and a subject matter expert in Learning and Development. She has written many articles which have been published in reputable local and international journals. She has keen interest in public sector administration/management, public policy, human resources management, gender and entrepreneurship studies. Her hobby is reading motivational, investigative books and listening to classical and gospel music.
BRIEF HISTORY OF THE DEPARTMENT
The Department of Public Administration was established in 2016 to develop manpower for both private and public sectors of Nigeria. The Department was established from the Department of Administration which consisted of both Business Administration and Public Administration. A Senate resolution gave impetus to the decision to split the Department of Administration into two Departments-Public Administration and Business Administration. The aim of the decision was to position the Department of Public Administration for effective fulfillment of its statutory mandate of manpower development. The Department began with the introduction of Four (4) Programmes, namely;
- Bachelor of Science Degree in Public Administration;
- Post-Graduate Diploma in Public Administration (PGD),
- Master of Public Administration (MPA) and
- Master of Science in Public Administration (M.Sc).
As part of the giant strides made by the Department within the short period of its establishment, it mounted the following programmes in the year 2021, they include;
- Master of Philosophy (M.Phil.) Public Administration and
- Doctor of Philosophy (PhD) Public Administration.
The aim is to create opportunity for Nigerians who desire to pursue a Ph.D programme in Public Administration through the flexible learning mode of Distance Education which emphasizes studying while working. Both programmes have taken off in earnest.
The programmes mounted by the department are fully accredited by the National Universities Commission (NUC).
The need in contemporary Nigeria for well-grounded administrators in government and non-profit organizations is growing. Large, complex governmental organizations cannot function without administrators trained to rationally set goals and priorities, define and analyze complex problems, and generate solutions to these problems. Bearing this in mind, our Philosophy is, therefore, to achieve and improve the standard of education through teaching and research. The Department provides ample opportunities for potential students to develop and instill the spirit of self-reliance and self-confidence. The goal of this philosophy is to produce Public Administration graduates with critical minds, the necessary abilities, and skills to analyze, comprehend, predict, and influence factors that shape and mould policy makers and implementers in Nigeria, Africa, and the world in general. the Department of Public Administration uses Open and Distance education system to producing graduates who are highly competent in the science and art of administration both in the Private Sector, as well as in the Public Sector, and who can make meaningful contributions to the Social, Political and economic development of Nigeria and the world at large.
The Department of Public Administration is committed to the overall university goal of being regarded as the foremost institution providing highly accessible and enhanced quality education anchored by Social Justice, equity, equity and national cohesion through a comprehension each that transcends all barriers. The vision of the Department is to be regarded as the foremost university department producing high quality management professionals locally and internationally, providing highly accessible, innovative, creative, international cooperation and enhanced quality education anchored by social justice, equality and national cohesion through a comprehensive reach that transcends all barriers. We are known for advocating highest values and ideals for the Public Administrators as well as developing effective manpower for the country. We tend to expand and Exchange Knowledge about Public service, thereby contributing to the Resolution of Critical Public Administration Issues, and Promoting Public Administrator Education and Professional Development. Our core values are: Equity, Fairness Professional, democratic, and ethical conduct.
The mission is to provide functional cost-effective and flexible learning which adds life-long value to quality education for all who seek knowledge in the field of administration in the private sector and public sector organizations. The Department has the primary mission of providing creative and innovative functional, cost effective, flexible learning which adds life-long value to equality education for all who seek knowledge with added value required for survival in today’s global village.
OBJECTIVES OF THE DEPARTMENT
The Programmes in Public Administration have the following objectives:
- To provide the students with a good grounding in Public Administration theory; and management techniques that will enable them function effectively as administrators.
- To develop in our students’ good leadership qualities and encourage them to imbibe altruistic values for servicing the public interest.
- To broaden their perspectives and encourage them to acquire eclectic values in analyzing and seeking solutions to the problems which face our governments.
- To train students to be patriotic, courageous, innovative and self-reliant in their various positions as policy-makers in Nigeria of the 21st
- Produce graduates who can work as employees of Organizations, as well as Public and non-governmental organizations at Local, State, Federal and International Levels.
- Contribute through research to National and International policy issues of business and Public Interests.
Programmes Run in the Department
BSc. Public Administration
PGD Public Administration
Masters of Public Administration (MPA)
MSc. Public Administration
Master of Philosophy (M.Phil)
Doctorate of Philosophy (Ph.D)
Admission into the B.Sc. Public Administration Programme is in line with the National Open University of Nigeria entry requirements. Candidates for the Four-year Degree Programme in Public Administration must have 5 (five) credits passes in the West African School Certificate Examination or in the GCE Examinations, Credit Passes in Mathematics, English Language Economics, Government and any other related subject are departmental Requirements. This must be obtained in one or two sittings.
- Candidates for the 3-year degree programme in Public Administration should posses relevant OND, NCE, or their equivalent with at least Upper Credit Division pass from any accredited higher institution of learning.
- They should possess five credit passes in the GCE (or equivalents – WASC, SSCE, NECO) with three of the credit passes in English Language, Mathematics and Economics.